Tuesday 17 September 2013

PETER GUTTRIDGE IS DOUBLE WHAMMY WINNER IN THE GRAHAM GREENE FESTIVAL INTERNATIONAL WRITING COMPETITION 2013

That would be me. Almost on a whim and partly as a technical exercise I entered short pieces in the thriller and travel writing categories of this annual writing competition. Entrants were given an opening sentence (actually the opening line of Our Man In Havana) and had 750 words to continue it in whatever way they chose. I'm pleased (and surprised) to say I won in both categories. (I'm now wishing I'd entered in the third category too...)
If you're so inclined you can read my entries (God's Lonely Man and One Day In Caracas) on my website at www.peterguttridge.com. Details of the festival, which takes place on the last weekend in September, are at www.grahamgreenefestival.com. Michael Carlson has reminded me of the famous occasion when Graham Greene entered anonymously a 'Graham Greene Writing Competition' in Argosy magazine in 1947 - and came second.

No comments: